Civil Engineering Technologist (Site Development)
Al-Terra is the engineering and landscape design firm that specializes in getting people where they need to go, and creating places where they want to be. We give our clients and partners complete confidence through our relentless commitment to earn their business. Our goal is to remove the risk and create a positive stress-free experience where everyone can take pride in the results. We’re not just completing projects. We’re building safe, desirable, forward-looking communities.
Our Core Values:
We are a core values driven company, and are proud to live these with our co-workers, clients and our partners:
- We build on what has made us great.
- We cultivate exceptional professionals.
- We are authentic, we are intentional, we are fun.
- We provide superior service to build clients for life.
- We are compassionate citizens of our community.
Civil Engineering Technologist to support drafting, design and construction of Site Development & Planning projects which may include multifamily, open space (parks) development, healthcare & hospital, schools, institutional, municipal, and commercial projects. This important role will collaborate with project design leads and other team members with proficient execution of drafting and design. Activities will ensure project deliverables are completed on time and on budget which will lead to earning the client’s confidence.
- Use engineering design software (AutoCAD, Civil 3D, MS Excel) to support on time and on budget completion of technical work products. Develop proficiency using other design software (Revit etc.) to supplement project deliverables and communicate design elements to project stakeholders.
- Compile project information (utility, property or right of way, as built information) and prepare project base plans using AutoCAD or Civil 3D ahead of design activities.
- Support technical activities such as:
- drainage design,
- utility conflict analysis,
- turn radius analysis,
- planning analysis & mapping,
- public engagement mapping & material preparation
- Develop and complete technical work products (sketches, plans, drawings, curve tables) through various project phases (concept, preliminary, detailed design, construction and post-construction) supporting construction of site elements and systems (LID, curb and gutter, sidewalk, roadway, minor drainage, and signage).
- Support planning projects with attractive concept plans, mapping products, and creative analytical insight at multiple scales (regional, local, and site-specific) including production and incorporation of GIS-ready outputs and inputs within AutoCAD.
- Expectation is to create a solid foundation in our technical work products with a focus on drafting for the first year, with a transition to design and field activities in the second year.
- Second year and on will include participation and completion of field activities including construction meetings, construction administration & quality inspections, and other field design verification requirements. Communication directly with client and contractor representatives to provide a positive stress-free experience through outstanding quality service will be an expectation.
- Will be an active co-worker who support and work within our safety standards for our clients and at Al-Terra
- Key Performance Indicators:
- Completion of deliverables on time and on budget with minimal time and cost variance at completion. Goal: 0-5% variance in budget and schedule at completion.
- Quality of work results in minimal errors, omissions, and rework. Goal: 0-5% increase in budget and schedule due to rework.
- Project utilization – contribution to client project work. Goal: 90% chargeable, 10% professional development
- Other duties as required.
Location and Working Conditions:
- This position is located in Edmonton.
- The position will require participation in both desktop (office) and field activities.
- Field activities will be within Edmonton region in urban areas and may require exposure to a variety of weather conditions expected in the area.
- Field activities may require prolonged periods of standing and walking on the various sites.
- Design and field activities may require working extended hours or weekends depending on seasonal requirements (i.e. construction, deadlines, emergent issues).
- Civil Engineering Technologist must have a drivers license and vehicle or reliable means of transportation that will allow them to mobilize to the field as needed.
- Manager, Site Development
- Team Lead, Land Planning
- Project Design Lead
- Project Team
- Client Representatives
- Contractor Representatives
Qualifications and Requirements:
- Graduate of a Civil Engineering Technologist program in Canada
- Registered C.E.T. or technologist in training with ASET
- Fluent in English both written and verbal
- Experience using AutoCAD and Civil 3D to complete technical work products
- Experience using MS Office Suite (Excel, Word) and Google Workspace (Sheets, Docs, My Maps)
- Experience participating in construction activities (survey, inspection, contract administration)
- Experience designing Site Development systems
- Experience with planning policy, design, municipal processes, and GIS is considered an asset
- P.Tech.(Eng.) registration with ASET is considered an asset
- P.L.(Eng.) registration with APEGA is considered an asset
- Reports to Manager, Site Design
- Reports to Project Design Lead
- Professional Development is available for all Co-workers – information from online resources, colleagues, training courses, certification training and conferences.
- Background checks and other assessments are conditions of employment.
- Comprehensive benefits package and career development opportunities are provided
How to Apply:
To apply: Email your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
In the subject line of your email, kindly include:
- The title of the position you are applying for
In your cover letter, kindly include:
- Where you saw this position advertised
Only applicants eligible to work in Canada will be considered.