Al-Terra is the engineering and landscape design firm that specializes in getting people where they need to go, and creating places where they want to be. We give our clients and partners complete confidence through our relentless commitment to earn their business. Our goal is to remove the risk and create a positive stress-free experience where everyone can take pride in the results. We’re not just completing projects. We’re building safe, desirable, forward-looking communities.
Our Core Values:
We are a core values driven company, and are proud to live these out with our co-workers, clients and our partners:
- We build on what has made us great.
- We cultivate exceptional professionals.
- We are authentic, we are intentional, we are fun.
- We provide superior service to build clients for life.
- We are compassionate citizens of our community.
- Develop Al-Terra’s GIS capacity and capability within existing business lines to diversify and expand technical service offerings to our clients.
- Build Al-Terra’s GIS discipline through strategic development of workflows, processes, resources, client relationships and a portfolio of projects to produce a self-sustaining GIS business line at Al-Terra.
- Collaborate with Al-Terra’s leadership team to identify evolving and emerging client needs and participate in the development of capitalization strategies for these needs.
- Identify trends and deliver innovative solutions using GIS analysis, engineering principles and urban planning & design methodologies to maintain Al-Terra’s competitive edge.
- Support project teams through map development and by providing spatial analysis that helps to inspire confidence with our clients.
- Develop and manage Al-Terra’s GIS framework to house and manage geospatial data and facilitate GIS workflows.
- Develop and implement a strategy to build and grow Al-Terra’s GIS capacity within business lines in collaboration with business line leaders.
- Develop Al-Terra’s GIS business line presence in current and future geographic markets by building client relationships and responding to RFPs or RFQs.
- Identify GIS opportunities by tracking trends and investigating innovative developments in GIS applications and technologies.
- Review performance (quality, profitability, and productivity) of GIS projects.
- Support urban design & renewal team by developing urban design analysis reports and generating maps.
- Support geomatics team to enhance survey operations and workflows.
- Collaborate with planning and design teams to compile and manage spatial data, complete demographic and spatial analysis, develop visual media (i.e. public engagement maps), and draft reports or other technical documents.
- Develop and support GIS web applications and solutions for various internal and external clients.
- Participate in public engagement events and activities.
Location and Working Conditions:
- This position is based in Al-Terra’s Edmonton office.
- Working hours are typically from 8 AM to 5 PM, Mondays to Fridays with a 1 hour lunch.
- Nature of work may require occasional overtime on weeknights and weekends.
- Travel may be required depending on project requirements.
- Al-Terra has flexibility to work off site and outside typical working hours as required by your position, preference and job scope as long as it does not negatively impact the team.
- GIS specialist will have to collaborate with multidisciplinary teams for public and private clients.
- GIS specialist will have to collaborate with the leadership team.
Qualifications and Requirements:
- 10+ years of experience working in a senior role leading and developing a team and business line related to spatial analysis, planning and mapping.
- Established track record in utilizing QGIS and ArcGIS.
- Familiarity or experience utilizing other ESRI products (i.e. City Engine) is an asset.
- Familiar with Microsoft and Google productivity applications.
- Broad understanding of demographic, infrastructure and transportation data and systems with ability to develop project specific data analysis methodology and implement data-driven solutions.
- Knowledgeable of presentation methodologies and design principles.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Demonstrated experience in developing a team of motivated coworkers through mentorship and coaching.
- Strong collaborator with significant experience working with multidisciplinary teams.
- Highly effective resource manager with strong financial understanding.
- Driven to innovate and to provide excellent customer care and service.
- Land and/or transportation planning experience is an asset.
- Reports to Manager of Planning / Manager of Urban Design & Renewal
- Reporting structure will be modified as required upon development and growth of GIS business line
- Professional Development is available for all co-workers – information from online resources, colleagues, training courses, certification training and conferences.
- Background checks and other assessments are conditions of employment.
- This position is eligible for the Co-worker Referral Program.
- Comprehensive benefits package and career development opportunities are provided.
How to Apply:
To apply: Email your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
In the subject line of your email, kindly include:
- The title of the position you are applying for
In your cover letter, kindly include:
- If you were referred to this position, the name of the team member who referred you.
Only applicants eligible to work in Canada will be considered.