Intermediate / Senior Land Development Engineer
Al-Terra is the engineering, geomatics, and landscape design firm that specializes in getting people where they need to go, and creating places where they want to be. We give our clients and partners complete confidence through our relentless commitment to earn their business. Our goal is to remove the risk and create a positive stress-free experience where everyone can take pride in the results. We’re not just completing projects. We’re building safe, desirable, forward-looking communities.
Our Core Values:
We are a core values driving company, and are proud to live these with our co-workers, clients, and our partners:
- We build on what has made us great.
- We cultivate exceptional professionals.
- We are authentic, we are intentional, we are fun.
- We provide superior service to build clients for life.
- We are compassionate citizens of our community.
We are seeking a skilled and innovative Intermediate/Senior Land Development Engineer to join our interdisciplinary design team, provide technical expertise, design, and manage projects within the land development practice, focused on the Calgary Region. The work involves hands-on design and construction activities associated with our residential, industrial, and commercial subdivision projects. You will be responsible for preparing scope and fee proposals, client management, preliminary & detailed design, tendering, construction administration, post-construction, cost estimating, and retaining & working with subconsultants. Your role will be pivotal to support and grow our private land development clients and maintain momentum on projects of varying size and complexity through the design and construction process. Commitment to continuous improvement and excellent client service are fundamental. This position includes the opportunity to grow into a management role in our Private Land Development team in Calgary.
- Project Management: Manage project scope, timeline, budget, resourcing, and deliverables, while effectively communicating with the team (including subconsultants & contractors) and clients, as well as stakeholders and the public, when required.
- Client Management: Prepare scope and fee proposals, scope change documentation, liaise with the clients, and ongoing communication.
- Technical Guidance & Expertise:
- Work with the Senior Planner and clients to develop, submit, refine, and obtain approvals for subdivision and land use applications.
- Prepare & coordinate preliminary designs, detailed design, detailed calculations, subdivision agreements, contract documents, engineering specifications, tenders, and cost estimates for land development projects.
- Coordinate and monitor construction activities, inspections, QA/QC testing and reporting, construction layout, quantity tracking & progress claims, budget control, contract management, regulatory compliance, and post-construction activities.
- Prepare correspondence, engineering reports, specifications, and meeting minutes.
- Provide clients with proactive, cost-effective, long-term solutions.
- Liaise with municipal staff related to design reviews, challenging designs, construction and post-construction issues, and project close-out.
- Corporate Duties:
- Assist with preparation of client agreements & invoicing.
- Work closely with other Calgary team members to coordinate staff resources.
- Monitor employee growth & support.
- Mentoring and Training: Develop junior staff, provide guidance & coaching, and foster their professional growth to ensure the team’s long-term success.
- Business Development: Develop and maintain positive relationships with existing clients and assist with cultivation of new clients.
- Professional Development: Pursue ongoing education and training and participation with industry organizations.
- Growth Opportunities: This role may grow into the opportunity to participate in Al-Terra’s Management Team, carrying out responsibilities such as facilitating integration, participating in strategic plan development, developing & implementing corporate plans, establishing culture, and monitoring practice performance.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Communication: Excellent verbal and written communication skills to deal with team members, clients, municipal staff, subconsultants, and contractors.
- Teamwork: Collaborate with team members, including engineering, drafting support, survey, other office staff, and subconsultants.
- Critical and Creative Thinking: Work with the clients and municipal staff to develop innovative, yet practical, project solutions.
- Time Management: Set priorities and meet deadlines.
- Customer Service: Deliver the right solutions, with the right people, at the right time.
Location and Working Conditions:
- This position is in Calgary, Alberta.
- Our team primarily works full time from our office; however, we offer remote working opportunities, flexible hours, and balanced lifestyles with employee satisfaction as a top priority, assuming it does not negatively impact the team.
- Occasional travel, overtime, including weekend work, as required.
- Municipal Staff & Government Agencies
Qualifications and Requirements:
- A bachelor’s degree or higher in Civil Engineering or a diploma in Civil Engineering Technology.
- Professional membership in APEGA with a P.Eng. or P.L.(Eng.) designation.
- A minimum of five years of increasingly responsible land development experience, from preliminary design to construction completion, with preference given to candidates with more experience.
- Strong technical skills in subdivision design, including grading, underground utility design, and surface improvement design.
- Experience with stormwater management & report writing, including modelling with PCSWWM, XPSTORM, or SWMHYMO is considered an asset.
- Experience with sediment & erosion control design and construction monitoring, including CPESC accreditation, is considered an asset.
- Experience in urban roadway design, including arterial roads, is considered an asset.
- MS Office skills, specifically the ability to work with Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook, including knowledge and skills working with PDF editor software.
- Proficient with ACAD and Civil 3D.
- Strong leadership, project management skills, and experience in managing a variety of projects and collaborating with teams across disciplines and geographic locations.
- Familiarity with the approval process for the various types of clients and approving agencies.
- Strong communication and presentation skills, with the ability to effectively communicate with clients, executives and managers, team members (including subconsultants & contractors).
- Ability to prioritize and work under pressure to meet project deadlines.
- Relevant experience with the City of Calgary, Rocky View County, and other Alberta municipalities is considered an asset.
- Supply their own reliable vehicle and have a valid driver’s license.
- Reports to the General Manager.
- Professional Development is available for all Co-workers – information from online resources, colleagues, training courses, certification training and conferences.
- Background checks and other assessments are conditions of employment.
- Comprehensive benefits package and career development opportunities are provided.
- This position is eligible for the Co-worker Referral Program
How to Apply:
To apply: Email your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
In the subject line of your email, kindly include:
- The title of the position you are applying for
- If you were referred to this position, the name of the co-worker who referred you.
In your cover letter, kindly include:
- Where you saw this position advertised
Only applicants eligible to work in Canada will be considered.